The Columbia Hospital For Women was an historic institution in Washington DC and a major women’s hospital from 1866 until its closing in 2002 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Hospital_for_Women).
Prior to its closing funds were obtained to support research and a research foundation was established. After the hospital closed, a board of directors was established to perpetuate the research vision.
Currently the mission of the foundation is to award an annual prize for the study or studies deemed to have the most impact in the field of breast or obstetrical and gynecologic disorders published in a given calendar year. Members of a selection committee composed of experts in the field nominate publications and then vote. The winning publication is awarded a cash prize. The prize can be accepted by a single author or be donated in honor of the authors to a non-profit foundation.